Thursday, January 31, 2013

What is news?

On the first day of Writing and Reporting the News the class organized into small groups to discuss the question: What does news mean to us?  We concluded that news is a way to gain fairly accurate and current information world wide.  The news covers stories that people want to hear.  There are many ways people get their news.  Personally, I prefer to watch the news rather than read about it online.  I would much rather see live footage on CNN than stare at a computer screen.  I do read the newspaper; especially when I am home from school as my parents get the Eagle Tribune.  I also follow local news through WMUR and The Pelham Windham News.  Katie G, however, gathers her news via websites, such as MSNBC  and twitter.  Emily uses news applications on her smart phone.  One of her favorites is Pulse.  She finds herself using the NY Times and Boston Globe apps as well.  Ken watches the Daily Show.  He finds it easier to pay attention when the program is entertaining.  Sam follows news regarding sports through ESPN's SportsCenter.  Whatever the means, it seems we are all looking to be "in the know" on the current events surrounding us.

No comments:

Post a Comment